guided rocker arms

Post technical questions and answers about your ride.

Moderators: tpirocz, Aron213, zroc, 87350tpi

80's-kids

guided rocker arms

Postby 80's-kids » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:14 pm

what is the advantage of guided rocker arms and what to they do 8)

camarothatcould

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:46 pm

Do you mean like Self-Aligned rocker arms?

Just the tip of the rocker had two tabs that keep the rocker inline with the valve stem. With pushrod guideplates, you need to have flat tipped rockers or I guess they bind

Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aron213 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Some heads are casted with a guide hole in the head, some have a bigger hole which would allow the pushrod to move off the end of the rocker arm if it didnt have the lip to keep it in place.

If you have guide plates you must not run self aligning rockers, but you need to drill open the factor guide hole if they are in the heads

camarothatcould

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Aron213 wrote:Some heads are casted with a guide hole in the head, some have a bigger hole which would allow the pushrod to move off the end of the rocker arm if it didnt have the lip to keep it in place.

If you have guide plates you must not run self aligning rockers, but you need to drill open the factor guide hole if they are in the heads

Did not know that. hope it doesnt make a problem with mine

Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aron213 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:56 pm

camarothatcould wrote:
Aron213 wrote:Some heads are casted with a guide hole in the head, some have a bigger hole which would allow the pushrod to move off the end of the rocker arm if it didnt have the lip to keep it in place.

Did not know that. hope it doesnt make a problem with mine

arent you running Vortecs? They dont have the guide holes thats why they have to have either self aligning rockers or guide plates

camarothatcould

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:40 pm

:blink:

Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aron213 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:44 pm

you cant tell from that pic much...but I can tell you that those are Vortec heads, and that if your not running guide plates then you need to run self aligning rockers

camarothatcould

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:46 pm

yes aron, they are. Those are my Vortecs, but look, arent those pushrods guides(holes is you will) in the head?

Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Aron213 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:41 am

camarothatcould wrote:yes aron, they are. Those are my Vortecs, but look, arent those pushrods guides(holes is you will) in the head?

yes, but they are big and round, where as a normal Chevy head has a slot about the size of a 5/16's pushrod

Return to Technical Discussions