guided rocker arms

  
Post technical questions and answers about your ride.

Moderators: tpirocz, Aron213, zroc, 87350tpi


80's-kids
Member
Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:20 am

guided rocker arms

Postby 80's-kids » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:14 pm

what is the advantage of guided rocker arms and what to they do 8)


camarothatcould
 

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:46 pm

Do you mean like Self-Aligned rocker arms?

Just the tip of the rocker had two tabs that keep the rocker inline with the valve stem. With pushrod guideplates, you need to have flat tipped rockers or I guess they bind

User avatar
Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17934
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:19 pm
Location: Ocala Florida

Postby Aron213 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Some heads are casted with a guide hole in the head, some have a bigger hole which would allow the pushrod to move off the end of the rocker arm if it didnt have the lip to keep it in place.

If you have guide plates you must not run self aligning rockers, but you need to drill open the factor guide hole if they are in the heads


camarothatcould
 

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:38 pm

Aron213 wrote:Some heads are casted with a guide hole in the head, some have a bigger hole which would allow the pushrod to move off the end of the rocker arm if it didnt have the lip to keep it in place.

If you have guide plates you must not run self aligning rockers, but you need to drill open the factor guide hole if they are in the heads


Did not know that. hope it doesnt make a problem with mine

User avatar
Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17934
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:19 pm
Location: Ocala Florida

Postby Aron213 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:56 pm

camarothatcould wrote:
Aron213 wrote:Some heads are casted with a guide hole in the head, some have a bigger hole which would allow the pushrod to move off the end of the rocker arm if it didnt have the lip to keep it in place.

If you have guide plates you must not run self aligning rockers, but you need to drill open the factor guide hole if they are in the heads


Did not know that. hope it doesnt make a problem with mine


arent you running Vortecs? They dont have the guide holes thats why they have to have either self aligning rockers or guide plates


camarothatcould
 

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:40 pm

:blink:

Image

User avatar
Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17934
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:19 pm
Location: Ocala Florida

Postby Aron213 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:44 pm

you cant tell from that pic much...but I can tell you that those are Vortec heads, and that if your not running guide plates then you need to run self aligning rockers


camarothatcould
 

Postby camarothatcould » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:46 pm

yes aron, they are. Those are my Vortecs, but look, arent those pushrods guides(holes is you will) in the head?

User avatar
Aron213
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 17934
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:19 pm
Location: Ocala Florida

Postby Aron213 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:41 am

camarothatcould wrote:yes aron, they are. Those are my Vortecs, but look, arent those pushrods guides(holes is you will) in the head?


yes, but they are big and round, where as a normal Chevy head has a slot about the size of a 5/16's pushrod


Return to Technical Discussions



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron