Fuel Pump is not coming on

Post technical questions and answers about your ride.

Moderators: tpirocz, Aron213, zroc, 87350tpi

commodus192

Fuel Pump is not coming on

Postby commodus192 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Hello folks -

Okay - so my 87 Iroc with 305 TPI had a new fuel pump installed about a month or so ago. This morning I drive it to the store no problem. Later, I start it and it kind of sputters a little bit and I see my voltmeter is down so I assume it blew the fuse again (from my old cooling fans - it blows every couple of weeks) so I turn it off to check/replace the fuse. BUT...the fuse is fine and now the car won't start and the fuel pump is not coming on when I turn the key. Any suggestions from you smart folks? I haven't been let down yet so please help! You might get a good deal when I sell it!

Mike

commodus192

Postby commodus192 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:00 pm

Sorry - one other question....to supply power to the pump like for the first time it was installed it says to zap 12 volts of power to the ALDL thingie under the dash - section G. My questions is...how is this done? And..are there other fuses I should check or relays under the hood? Sorry if I sound stupid...but these newer cars really stump me compared to the oldies. Thanks again in advance.

1988irocz

Postby 1988irocz » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:10 pm

There is a 20 amp fuse for the pump it self. I'm not sure were it is for factory since I had to put the wiring in my self after my car was painted. But check around the front passenger side engine compartment behind the headlight, if it is there like mine it will have a plastic cap to cover the fuse.

commodus192

Postby commodus192 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:29 pm

Okay - I will check it out. I do have a fuel pump fuse on the fuse block itself inside the car, it apparently shares the same one that operates the cooling fans and alternator - but it is not blown. I will check where your thinking though. Any and all help is always appreciated!

nitemare3o5
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby nitemare3o5 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:20 pm

i think i have a bad fuel pump, because when i hop on it, it hesitates, and actually LoSES rpm... i cant find a block mounted pump, so it must be in the tank righT?
IZ PICK 'EM *NFL* CHAMPION

commodus192

Postby commodus192 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:38 pm

Yes - in my 87 - the pump is inside of the tank - AND...it is a pain in the arse to remove the tank because of the suspension. I had a garage do it even though manuals make it took so easy. When my pump was bad it would hardly even run...it would sputter and cough. The pressure is checked on the fuel rail, via a little valve like a tire valve on top of the engine. But in the case of my car, it is a new pump and you cant hear it turn on like it normally does when you turn the key. Somebody HELP! It has been running super awesome too lately.

nitemare3o5
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby nitemare3o5 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:05 am

that sucks man...i had to replace an intank fuel lpump on a regal once, man was that a bitch, took me all day, manual said 4-5hrs lol
IZ PICK 'EM *NFL* CHAMPION

1988irocz

Postby 1988irocz » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:36 am

I replaced my fuel pump with a performace pump when I was in the process of restoring my car. It was not that bad though since I was replacing the rearend anyways and I figured "I'd kill two birds with one stone." For those that are going to consider doing that. I would recommend cutting through the rear floor pan above the pump. I saw pictures of someone who did that once and he did a very nice job. If I recall he even put a hinge a latch to make it at a trap door. It was very tick and the interior carpeting covered it well.

commodus192

Postby commodus192 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:22 pm

Does anyone have an answer though for the first two questions? The fuel pump is new and has been working fine....is there something else I should look at or would popping some electricity into the ALDL work and if so...HOW???

Thanks......

johnny90

Postby johnny90 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:49 am

you should really check your fuel pressure first to make sure it is thee pump or not. and allso check your distibutor modlue mine would spit and pop like it was out of gas.

commodus192

Postby commodus192 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Thanks Johnny - in the case of clunker, the fuel pump is new, even though it could be defective...but when I turn the key now, there is no sound of it priming like it usually does (like with the old one and the new one). I just don't know...I was thinking that for such awesome cars, all of us on this list sure do have alot of pieces of shit for sure...because we are always scratching our heads with them!

Please - anyone else want to chime in and teach me something - I appreciate all feedback (as long as it is nice;-)!

Mike

63ChevyII
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby 63ChevyII » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:02 pm

They will not always prime if the preasure is already to it. check the preasure. Mine was still making the prime sound but was not putting out the right preasure so I had to replace it. If it is defective go back with one from GM or buy a good aftermarket one not a autozone (or other auto store special)because its a cheaper. Also there is a fuel pump relay under the hood too. just not sure where yours is but mine was on the firewall by the master cylinder.
Last edited by 63ChevyII on Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87 iroc 5.7 traded Sept , 2006, Sold 1963 Impala SS 2009, sold 1963 Chevy II Nova 2011, New Toy is a 1963 Buick Riviera

camarothatcould

Postby camarothatcould » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:04 pm

fuel filter?

commodus192

Postby commodus192 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:09 pm

Men and Women of Iroc's - Thank You...I will definitely check this out...very helpful.

Mike

1988irocz

Postby 1988irocz » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:57 pm

Another thing too, if you turn the ignition on only, you should here the pump prime the injectors. It takes a couple of seconds, but if you leave it on after you do that it won't prime again until you actually try to start the car. Or you have to turn the ignition off for about 30 seconds to cycle it again. And the fuel pump relay is at the drivers side firewall next to 2 other relays. I forget which is which, but if you can't find that out let me know I'll look it up in my Helms manual.

commodus192

Postby commodus192 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:22 pm

Thanks again...it ended up being the fuel pump relay...third one in from the drivers side fender. $11 at Autozone...I hope this thread can help someone else out too.

D's89IROCZ
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby D's89IROCZ » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:11 pm

glad it wasn't a big $$ part. No chase down your electrical short that keeps blowing fuses.
1989 IROC Z Hardtop
L98 353 w/ T-5 and 3.73
Exhaust clip ...let it load http://media.putfile.com/My-exhaust-clip

Hay I need more comments in my garage :)

mattwolfy

Postby mattwolfy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Just food for thought. I just had the same problem with mine to where the fuel pump wouldnt turn on but i got spark and everything else worked, and no blown fuses. What it ended up being was a broken electrical wire, the wire goin from the alternator to the battery was completely fried in half by the connection to the battery, and on that wire is what appears to be a jumper or fusible link to the fuel pump. so I just cut to the good part of the wire and put a connector to the battery, everything went fine and ended up being a 4$ fix. Might wanna check that especially if your voltage guage is goin haywire like mine did right before it didnt start.

Return to Technical Discussions