18" factory Iroc rims??? or after market

Post technical questions and answers about your ride.

Moderators: tpirocz, Aron213, zroc, 87350tpi

flathead youngin

18" factory Iroc rims??? or after market

Postby flathead youngin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:44 pm

Hey guys, newbie here......

I had an 87 camaro right after I graduated HS.....loved the car but sold it down the road. I grew up admiring 3rd gen camaros and always dreamed of owning an iroc......it was THE car to me...

anyway, I'm looking for one.....no hurry, looking for the right car at the right price.

there's a REALLY sharp convertable on ebay right now. he says it has 18" Iroc rims. I messaged him asking if they were after market. From his response I gathered that they were factory. What years did these come on or are they indeed after market rims......they look JUST like the earlier single bar rims....

ok, i think i need to host it.......i'll do that in the reply...
i'll see if I can attach a pic...

Last edited by flathead youngin on Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

devestator_x
Elite Member
Elite Member

1983 Chevrolet Camaro

Postby devestator_x » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:47 pm

They make aftermarket IROC rims in larger sizes. They look just like the originals but in 18" and chrome. The largest factory rim was 16". Hawk's third gen ahs the aftermarket irocs for sale at about $1000 for 4.
1983 Camaro Z/28 All original, under 100,000 miles.

"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them."

flathead youngin

Postby flathead youngin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:52 pm

hey, thanks for the quick response.....he just called them "iroc rims"....well, that could be taken either way...

1k is a lot of jack, but there's a lot of work in polishing a factory set......

thanks, this gives me some ideas.....

it'll probably be a 6 months to a year before I lay out the jack for one, but I keep looking and learning what I want....

smellyfella
I'm a special boy
I'm a special boy

Postby smellyfella » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:54 pm

i have yet to see a set of crhome wheels that look good on a car that has no other chrome... :bling

camarothatcould

Postby camarothatcould » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:56 pm

Hell yea. I seen that one the other day. Too bad its a vert

89Blues

Postby 89Blues » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:41 pm

I think the car looks amazing. You guys think 18's are too big? Is it a loss in performance by switching up into 18's?

Lucas
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby Lucas » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:34 pm

89Blues wrote:I think the car looks amazing. You guys think 18's are too big? Is it a loss in performance by switching up into 18's?

Depends on what you consider "performance"

For drag, yeah probably
Road course/ canyon carving, no
ride quality, yeah.
Braking, depends on the wheel/tire combo.
89 no longer an L98

89Blues

Postby 89Blues » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:10 pm

Draging is not of high importance but how hard is the ride with 18's you think?

flathead youngin

Postby flathead youngin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:19 pm

i REALLY don't like big bling rims either, but IMHO, i don't think they look too big because of all the black and how they're nicely tucked up into the wells......

how much power can you build in a convertible car without hurting the integrity- realistically and safely

what about a T top car?

EDIT: with welded frame connectors

i'll try a search, i'm sure it has come up before......dumb newbies!!! :D
Last edited by flathead youngin on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

camarothatcould

Postby camarothatcould » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:51 pm

T-top car a must for a 3rd gen. Just gotta get some Sub Frame Connecters and probasbly weather stripping pending condition of it.(meaning our t-tops leak alot)

AJ7

Postby AJ7 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:57 pm

if your planning on 400hp+ i wouldnt go t-top or vert....

Lucas
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby Lucas » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:48 am

With welded sub frames connectors, or subframes and a cage, it doesnt matter weather its a t top or vert. Bolted subframes are useless. With over 400 horse you will rip the car in half whether its a hardtop, t top, or convertable if you dont have sub frame connectors

Dont forget, verts require vert specific subframe connectors. The "normal" sub frame connectors will not fit.
89 no longer an L98

SuperBean
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby SuperBean » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:45 pm

camarothatcould wrote:T-top car a must for a 3rd gen. Just gotta get some Sub Frame Connecters and probasbly weather stripping pending condition of it.(meaning our t-tops leak alot)

Go ahead and buy some weather stripping that crap leaks like a mofo.

dcjredline
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby dcjredline » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:47 pm

Road course/ canyon carving, no

YES. The heavier wheel will hurt you BIG TIME. Having stickier tires on the factory (or smaller) rims is the way to go for ANY racing straight line or road course. Why doesnt NASCAR use 25" when they do a road course if thats the case? A bigger wheel can be an advantage but not if they are much heavier like CHROME usually is. Stick with the factory 16" and get a better tire. I cant remember the formula but 1 lb on the wheel is something like 40-55 lbs in the car. So these RICERS that take theyre interior out and put on 20 lb heavier rims are just making things WORSE!!! Because they have no idea.
mullirific wrote:OOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BURN!!!!!
BERLINETTA BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i guess they had to give one to a gay guy so it wouldnt be racial profiling

SuperBean
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby SuperBean » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:45 pm

dcjredline wrote:Road course/ canyon carving, no

YES. The heavier wheel will hurt you BIG TIME. Having stickier tires on the factory (or smaller) rims is the way to go for ANY racing straight line or road course. Why doesnt NASCAR use 25" when they do a road course if thats the case? A bigger wheel can be an advantage but not if they are much heavier like CHROME usually is. Stick with the factory 16" and get a better tire. I cant remember the formula but 1 lb on the wheel is something like 40-55 lbs in the car. So these RICERS that take theyre interior out and put on 20 lb heavier rims are just making things WORSE!!! Because they have no idea.

Correct, sprung wieght and rotating weight are horrible for drag racing. Those wheels do look good though.

86sleeper

Postby 86sleeper » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:01 pm

SuperBean wrote:

Correct, sprung wieght and rotating weight are horrible for drag racing. Those wheels do look good though.

Thats why I'm gonna use my stock 16"s instead of my 18"s at the track. :D
1986 IROC - LB9 w/ 150 shot of juice, b&m stall torque conv., 3.73 posi, ect. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1840270

D's89IROCZ
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby D's89IROCZ » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Even stockers are heavy ass pieces . At least get some skinnies for the front :D
1989 IROC Z Hardtop
L98 353 w/ T-5 and 3.73
Exhaust clip ...let it load http://media.putfile.com/My-exhaust-clip

Hay I need more comments in my garage :)

gflo383SC
Elite Member
Elite Member

Postby gflo383SC » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:39 pm

I have 18's and the handling difference from the stock 16's to these is a pretty big difference.

i agree drag racing they would suck, there's no sidewall to flex.

there heavy but i didnt think they were that much heavier than stock.

I have T-tops and i make alot more than 400HP, it depends on how you tie the car together.... i have SFC and an 6 point cage. the cage made a HUGE difference in stiffening the car throught the corners.

i am getting sick of chrome, i would like the 18s in a factory look/finish. its been done by someone before and looks great.

but i think 16's look too small on 3rd gen irocs. (unless there set up for drag/straight line racing.... then 15's do the trick.

my opinion, a turbo GNX is a straight line car, a camaro is made to handle... so i enhanced its already great capabilities.

everyone is entitled there own opinions of course, I think if you like the way something looks, GO FOR IT! and good luck in your search for an IROC-Z :headbang:
ProChargered and MINIRAMED with 6 speeds

Aweasel
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby Aweasel » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:30 pm

D's89IROCZ wrote:Even stockers are heavy ass pieces . At least get some skinnies for the front :D

heh heh, my gtas are 15lbs a piece, the stock 91-92 wheel was 25lbs.

flathead youngin

Postby flathead youngin » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:42 pm

hey, fellas, i really appreciate all the help........i know newbies like me can be a real PITA asking all the same stupid questions....

like i said, i had an 87 camaro with T's but that's a far cry from a real iroc.......well, at least from a styling and performance standpoint....but that planted the bug.......

thanks for the subframe info and wheel info......i've still got some learning to do before i make and moves.....and some things to sell and money to save!!! :wink:

Jim85IROC
Commander in Chief

Postby Jim85IROC » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 am

For those of you that are interested in 17 or 18" IROC wheels, I just recently became a dealer for Oasis Wheels, who manufactures IROC wheels in a 17x8 and 18x8.5" width. They are available in chrome and polished, but I'm also going to work with them to try and get some made with the stock type appearance. If enough guys are interested, I can try to set up a group purchase for the wheels, which may help increase my chances of convincing these guys to offer a stock paint scheme on them.
Bolt-ons don't.

Lucas
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby Lucas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:44 pm

YES. The heavier wheel will hurt you BIG TIME. Having stickier tires on the factory (or smaller) rims is the way to go for ANY racing straight line or road course. Why doesnt NASCAR use 25" when they do a road course if thats the case? A bigger wheel can be an advantage but not if they are much heavier like CHROME usually is.

I should have clarified, if road course is your goal then get a bigger wheel but spend the money to get one that doesnt weigh a ton. There are plenty of lightweight wheels out there, just arent the cheapest things in the world.

And FYI, NASCAR states what size wheel and tire is run. Thats why all the teams use the same steel wheel and tire. They would be running larger wheels, not much though.
89 no longer an L98

89Kicker_IROC-Z
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby 89Kicker_IROC-Z » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:48 pm

Jim85IROC wrote:For those of you that are interested in 17 or 18" IROC wheels, I just recently became a dealer for Oasis Wheels, who manufactures IROC wheels in a 17x8 and 18x8.5" width. They are available in chrome and polished, but I'm also going to work with them to try and get some made with the stock type appearance. If enough guys are interested, I can try to set up a group purchase for the wheels, which may help increase my chances of convincing these guys to offer a stock paint scheme on them.

The Oasis brand ones are the ones I have.

chrome 18s looked good IMO so I got em, I couldnt care less what someone else thinks since its my car in the first place.
:thumbsup:
zr0c (8:25:00 AM): chang chang
zr0c (8:25:11 AM): changity chang she bop
zr0c (8:25:29 AM): well alway be together
zr0c (8:25:35 AM): wha hooo yeah

Th3rdGen On ZR1s

Postby Th3rdGen On ZR1s » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:55 pm

the car is no doubt a winner...but i'm kinda iffy about the ebay auction. what state does it say the guy is from? there is a guy from New York that PRETENDS to have a black convertible Iroc with chrome 18" Iroc wheels. but really the only black convertible exactly like that belongs to a guy on thirdgen.org and i informed him of the imposter (this dude was using the same photos as the real owner) anyways...i'm not saying that someone is faking an ebay ad, but that looks exactly like the one that someone is pretending to own :blink:
-Nick__Professional Top Dropper

~'91 Z28 convertible
~'89 IROC-Z coupe SOLD!
~'90 IROC-Z G92 coupe
http://www.cardomain.com/id/bluezee28

D's89IROCZ
IROCZONE Team
IROCZONE Team

Postby D's89IROCZ » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:07 pm

Good tip !!!!!!! I can;t stand **** imposters poser pussy wannabe tools
1989 IROC Z Hardtop
L98 353 w/ T-5 and 3.73
Exhaust clip ...let it load http://media.putfile.com/My-exhaust-clip

Hay I need more comments in my garage :)

Next

Return to Technical Discussions